On the side, I write Medium blogs on various topics, but mostly focusing on software and technology.
Each section is sorted with the most recent posts first.
Algorithms + Data Structures
- Are AWS Certifications Worth It? Reddit Weighs In
- How to update count values of keys in a HashMap in Java with getOrDefault()
- What does the HashMap method getOrDefault in Java do? (with examples)
- How to alphabetically sort a String in Java with just three lines of code
- What Does Subtracting a Char From a Char Mean?
- Simple Mnemonic Devices for Remembering HashSet’s Add and HashMap’s Put in Java
- What is an Amazon Machine Image (AMI) in 2 minutes?
- What is an AWS Security Group in 2 minutes?
- How to control your percentages of spot and on-demand EC2 instances for your AWS ASG
- What is Amazon Web Services (AWS) Route 53 in short and simple terms?
- What is AWS ECR (Elastic Container Registry)? A quick overview
- How to use Java to send SMTP emails with Amazon Simple Email Service (SES)
- My 2019 LA Amazon Web Services (AWS) Media & Entertainment Symposium Business Leader Track notes and summary
- My AWS re:Invent 2018 summary
- Utilizing Amazon DynamoDB to audit user activity for internal tools
- How to color-code your terminal output from “ls” for files and directories
- What does the -i (include) flag mean in a curl command?
- What does set -u mean in a Bash script?
- How to respond with a “Y”, “Yes”, or “confirm” input in a shell script
- How to turn on copy text on highlight or select in Hyper Terminal
- How to change permissions to executable on a shell script getting “Permission Denied”
- A terminal command to quickly kill (and thus free up) a running port on a Mac
- How to Encode and Decode Base64 Strings With Mac OS or Linux
- Optimize Your Command-Line Workflow With Bash Aliases
- Hyper Terminal plugins that will make your life easier
Chat + ChatOps
- Be More Productive with Your Work Tasks by Refining Slack Notifications
- How to Send Formatted Slack Message Blocks via the Java Slack SDK Client API
- How to get, save, and backup your 1–1 conversation history from HipChat (like if you’re migrating to Slack)
- Where is the InfluxDB configuration file located?
- What does the ACID acronym mean for databases within software engineering?
- Did you know Docker has a cheat sheet on its own website?
- What does the “buster” suffix mean in a Docker image?
- How to Tag and Push a Docker Image to a Private Registry
- Analyzing the base OS images of official Docker images
- Improve your code refactoring with tight feedback loops
- What are good programming and coding subreddits to subscribe to on Reddit?
- Quick takeaways 5 minutes into Edmond Lau’s The Effective Engineer
- Speed up your development and Git workflow with Git aliases
- How to do a Git operation on a folder or file with a space in it
- How to force push a Git tag to a remote repository
- How do you apply changes that you stashed away with git stash?
- How to see a list of all the repositories you are watching in GitHub and un-watch them
- How to Remove Modified or Changed Files from a Git Pull Request
- How to save a README to display on your main GitHub profile
- How to Mirror (Copy) an Entire Existing Git Repository Into a New One
- Dev Tips: Searching GitHub Like a Pro
- What we know about GitHub Package Registry
- How to handle “cannot execute binary file: Exec format error” when running Golang executable
- Write better and more readable Golang code by grouping similar declarations
- How should you name your receivers in Go?
- Write better Go code by keeping your variable names short
- How do you print out the type of a variable in Golang?
- Write better Golang code by declaring empty slices the right way
- There are style guides to write better Golang code in languages like Spanish, Chinese, and Portugese
- Write better Go code by using consistent case for initials in variables
- Write better Golang code by specifying field names when initializing structs
- Write better Golang code by avoiding panic in tests
- Write better Golang code by using gofmt to format your code
- What is the syntax to comment code in Golang?
- How to combine strings separated by a separator in a slice of strings in Golang
- How to Write a Go Function That Returns True If It Finds One Item (String, Integer, etc.) in a Slice of Items
- Using Golang to Read and Create Excel files
- Go kit vs. Micro vs. Gizmo Comparison: What the Internet is Saying
- Keyboard shortcut: how to search through all files and find matches in IntelliJ IDEA
- What’s the best IDE for developing in C# and .NET?
- What is the Best IDE or Editor for Developing in Lua?
- What is the best IDE and plugin for developing in Clojure?
- What is the Best IDE for Developing in Ruby (on Rails)?
- What is the best IDE for developing in Scala?
- What is the best IDE setup for developing in Haskell?
- What is the best IDE for developing in Julia?
- What is the Best IDE for Developing with Swift?
- What’s the best IDE for developing in Kotlin?
- What is the best IDE for React (ReactJS and React Native)?
- What is the best IDE for developing in Dart and Flutter?
- What is the best IDE for developing in Angular?
- What is the best IDE for developing in Rust?
- What is the best IDE for developing in Golang?
Java + Spring Boot
- How to tell if a Java hash map has a specific key in it with the containsKey() method
- A way of keeping a list of values as the value in a Java HashMap (example with people to grades)
- What does it mean for a class to be immutable in Java?
- Java Garbage Collection: What is the young generation, old generation, and permanent generation?
- How to wire up and use externally configurable variables in Spring Boot + Java
- How to Know What Version of Java that Maven is Using
- How to customize and add color to your Spring Boot banners to look awesome
- Command for how to display Kubernetes pods with their nodes with kubectl
- What is the Certified Kubernetes Administrator (CKA) exam?
- How to Roll Back (Undo) a Deployment in Kubernetes with Kubectl
- Understanding Kubernetes Resource (CPU and Memory) Units
- Maximize Your Kubectl Productivity With Shortcut Names for Kubernetes Resources
- My Recap of KubeCon 2019 “A Fortunate Series of CloudEvents” — Serverless, Eventing
- My Recap of KubeCon 2019’s “Running Istio and Kubernetes On-Prem at Yahoo Scale”
- My Notes on the KubeCon 2019 OPA + GateKeeper Introduction Talk
- How to write and use Kubernetes CronJobs
- Useful kubectl commands and scripts you can use in your day-to-day Kubernetes work
- Remotely connecting through Kubernetes to a JMX agent in a Spring Boot 1.x application to monitor an application
- Leveraging Spring Boot’s scheduled task functionality along with the Kubernetes API to clean up unneeded K8s resources
- I found a first-place essay I wrote when I was 16 years old on Martin Luther King Jr.
- Thank you, Grant Imahara
- List of all COVID-19 informational sites (and GitHub projects) per prefecture in Japan with case counts, tests, and more
- What is the level 4 layer in the OSI Model of networking infrastructure?
- What is the level 7 layer in the OSI Model of networking infrastructure?
- What is an A record when it comes to DNS records?
- What’s the keyboard shortcut or command to link text in Google Docs?
- How to add a strikethrough (crossing out text) in Google Docs
- How to change your RSVP to Accepted or Tentative for a meeting you declined in Microsoft Outlook
- How to Make a Picture’s Background Transparent Online in Seconds for Free
- Try Leaving Sticky Note Pads All Over Your Place to Retain Ideas
- How to Turn on Spell Check in Sublime Text
- YouTube Keyboard Shortcuts to Optimize Your Viewing and Learning
- How to search for a Twitter user’s most liked (favorited) and/or retweeted tweets in your web browser
- How do you convert (or cast) a string to an integer in Python?
- Write better Python code by using f-strings
- What is a type hint in Python?
- How to use named arguments in Python to reduce ambiguity
- In Python, help make numbers in the millions, billions, and trillions more readable
- How to fix Google AdSense “unable to process your request at this time” error
- How to Fix Commons Lang “Package Does Not Exist” Error
- How to fix md5 ImportError with Python 2 and pip
- What does the terraform init command do?
- If you’re in DevOps and/or use Terraform, someone made a cool cheat sheet
- What does the terraform refresh command do?
- Rest Your Eyes: Dark Mode is Coming to GitHub
- How to Add or Reduce Space Between Lines of Text Using Just HTML and CSS
- Learn From Amazon Suddenly Making Their Buttons Flat: Keep Your UI Design Fresh
- How to add a pure HTML and CSS two color linear gradient to your text
- How to add both an underline and an overline to your text (and in different colors) with HTML and CSS
- Material UI: How to change a Menu’s MenuItems anchor to popover below instead of over
- How to fix your Angular Material input field from being broken in Safari
- How to Use CSS to Fade In and Fade Out HTML Text and Pictures
WordPress + Website Management
- How to Activate and Get Your PositiveSSL Certificate on Namecheap for Your Website
- Add a Google Analytics Global Site Tag to Your WordPress Site in 5 Minutes
- An SSL Story: how to fix preview thumbnails not showing on Facebook and Twitter from your website pages
- How to Center Instagram Iframe Embeds in WordPress